Why join our team?
Developing a successful team doesn’t come easy, but at Horizon Construction we believe we have something rather special and unique. The company’s reputation for delivering exceptional construction projects is defined by the talent, personalities, diversity and commitment within its team across all areas of the business.
A career at Horizon Construction Group means being part of a collaborative team which goes the extra mile to ensure each other is supported to achieve their goals and deliver high-quality services to its clients. You’ll be working with some of the brightest minds in the industry, across a wide range of areas, and will be able to further your career aspirations through a structured personal development programme.
Within a friendly and professional environment, there’s a culture that enables everyone to achieve their true potential. From the very start, focussed on the company values, you’ll be encouraged to lead: to lead with your expertise, to lead on your personal development and to lead by inspiring others (e.g. colleagues, clients and other interested parties).
Horizon Construction Group is an equal opportunity employer and proud of a diverse and inclusive workplace. We recognise that the mental well-being of our staff is as important as their physical well-being, so we aim to provide a safe, healthy and enjoyable environment for all, wherever they are working.
How do we support your career?
Horizon Construction Group actively promotes a learning culture across the company, where staff support and learn from each other to further their knowledge and understanding of practices and principles involved within their role, the construction industry and delivering continuously improving services to clients.
Through a structured, regularly reviewed personal development programme there will be training opportunities for developing new skills, as well as enhancing existing ones, and progressing within the company. You’ll also benefit from the company’s involvement in a broad range of construction areas and specialisms.
All staff are also encouraged to play an active role in the development of the company and to shape its future. The company has an open-style of management where managers, senior management, directors are accessible and approachable at all levels.
Horizon Construction Group recognises the importance of investing in its people to support their career aspirations. It offers a programme which supports existing staff, management trainees and apprenticeships in structured training/educational courses or work-based learning qualifications. This includes academic, vocational and distance learning courses.
We invest in our people and provide a strong benefits package, which includes:
- 24 days of holiday, plus bank holidays and December holiday shut down
- Contributory pension scheme
- Highly competitive maternity and paternity package
- Private medical insurance
- Sponsorship of education schemes (on approval)
- Continuous on the job training and development
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare voucher scheme
We currently have three job vacancies at our Colchester office:
Job vacancy: Site Manager
We are seeking an additional Site Manager who is driven to achieve high standards, experienced and customer-focused to join our successful team.
Job title: Site Manager
Location: East Anglia and South East
Salary: Competitive + Benefits
- Responsible for managing a construction site, which includes endeavouring to deliver the project on time, to the highest levels of quality and within budget and ensuring compliance with health and safety standards and regulations.
- Maintain all records for the construction site, which include the daily diary, weekly labour timesheets, control and return of plant, materials and goods, project progress photos, site inductions and health and safety.
- Control and monitor the use of all resources, including sub-contractors, to minimise costs and to maximise efficiency.
- Ensure all health and safety procedures, documentation and audits are completed correctly in a time efficient manner.
- Identify the need for risk assessments / safe systems of work and implement on the construction site.
- Carryout toolbox talks with all construction site personnel and maintain records of talks.
- People and stakeholder management.
- Identify and resolve any issues, challenges or problems.
- Schedule set-up requirements for construction site, including the ordering of facilities in accordance with the PMP.
- Work alongside and report daily to the appointed Contracts Manager.
- Control of quality and compliance of works against specification and drawings.
- Scheduling and ordering of materials to ensure programme continuity is maintained.
- Carry out health and safety checks of sub-contractors – pre-start and during the running of the works – using company format schedules.
- Co-ordinate sub-contractors on a daily/weekly basis to ensure continuity and the programme is maintained.
- Ensure adequate security is adopted and maintained for the construction site.
- Ensure the construction site is kept tidy and operates to high standards.
- 5+ years of construction experience is essential.
- Experience of leading and implementing a broad range of construction projects, managing supplier contracts and ensuring service performance.
- Residential and commercial experience.
- Experience of managing and leading a team.
- A good understanding of modern construction techniques, including fit-out trades, structures and cladding systems.
- Excellent communication skills, self-motivated and customer-focused.
- An eye for detail and understanding the expected standards to be delivered and quality checking.
- Commercial acumen and understanding.
- Must be numerate with good IT skills.
Job vacancy: Office Manager
We have an exciting opportunity to join the team in our Colchester office. Horizon Construction Group has experienced significant growth and is now a medium-sized construction group which employs over 45 people and has a turnover of over £20m at our Colchester office. We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic individual, either as the next step in their career or already experienced in office management, to be an integral part of the group’s continued success.
Job title: Office Manager
Type: Full-time or Part-time
Location: Colchester, Essex
Overview of role
- This is a critical administration role and involves liaising with all departments.
- You will be expected to work using your own initiative and fulfil the management responsibilities of coordinating the workload within the administrative department. This includes developing and encouraging colleagues within the administrative department so they always achieve their best.
- The role involves a very broad range of administrative tasks, from weekly filing to the management of more complex areas, such as company vehicles, IT and telephony.
- You will be required to manage the control of spreadsheets across various areas, such as company vehicles, mobile phones, IT and insurance claims.
You will be working with:
- Courtenay Austin, whose main responsibility is to provide a PA role to the three directors at the Colchester office.
- Zarina Boland-Thoms, who provides administrative support to the pre-contract department.
- Members of other departments on a daily basis: Accounts, Surveying and Contracts.
- Other colleagues as defined in the Admin Roles and Responsibilities schedule.
- Ideally, the role is a full-time appointment, however, part-time or flexible hours will be considered for the right candidate.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word and basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel is required.
- Knowledge of the wider use of Microsoft Office 365 would be an advantage but not essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively is essential.
- Knowledge of the construction industry would be an advantage but not essential.
Your responsibilities include the following:
- Record sick leave and holiday entitlement via Breathe and inform relevant colleagues/departments about any absence.
- Private medical insurance claims.
- Management of mobile phone contracts.
- Updating of drawing files for all contracts via Dropbox or other electronic systems.
- Collating and managing sub-contractor PQQs and annual updates.
- Coordinate the company pension scheme.
- Coordinate meetings for the management team, as required.
- Company vehicle purchase, hire and lease.
- Manage company vehicles, fuel cards and mileage forms.
- Vehicle insurance claims and update MID portal.
- Company vehicle maintenance, servicing and repairs.
- General company insurance claims.
- Company insurance policy renewals.
- Set-up of construction site files and diaries.
- Log aftersale defects and report to Customer Care department.
- Management of general enquiries shared inbox in Outlook.
Your shared responsibilities with administrative colleagues include:
- Updating and review of company accreditations e.g. CHAS and Constructionline.
- Tracking of management team diaries.
- Booking of meeting rooms.
Your oversight responsibilities for administrative colleagues include:
- Letters, trade orders and general typing tasks for Quantity Surveyors and Contracts department.
- Printing and issuing of contract drawings, as required by Contract Managers.
- Issue, recording and ordering of PPE.
- General administrative filing.
- General accounts and filing of construction site returns.
- Set-up of new contract files.
- Booking of trucks for construction site use.
- Manage site managers’ out trays and ensure Contract Managers take relevant information to construction sites.
- Ordering and monitoring of stationery requirements for office and construction site use.